Burn Permits

How do I get a permit?

Contact the New Haven Fire Warden, Dean Gilmore at 802-373-4198. Please be courteous as he is providing a very valuable service to the Town of New Haven. The determination of whether or not a permit is issued is up to the Fire Warden, not the New Haven Fire Department or the Town Office of New Haven.

When I get a permit, what can I burn?

You are allowed to burn any natural vegetation (trees, brush and grass) and also untreated wood product, which is wood with no paint or wood that is not pressure-treated. Household trash is not permitted for burning under the State of Vermont Clean Air Act (Sec. 1. 24 V.S.A. § 2201).

Are there any other burn regulations or requirements?

All fires should be in an open area away from houses and other structures and should not be placed next to roadways as they can be a distraction to passing drivers. It is very important to never leave a burn pile unattended as it can spread very quickly and damage both yours and your neighbors' property.

Anyone burning without a permit or burning a permitted fire that is deemed unsafe will be asked to put the fire out. If the fire is not put out, the New Haven Fire Department may be dispatched to extinguish the fire.

Any questions or concerns should be addressed to the Town of New Haven Fire Warden, Dean Gilmore, at 802-373-4198